Skip to main content

SF Day 3: The Homeless

I wrote a note in my journal today that I should write about homeless people in my blog post.  So here I am.  Writing about homeless people.  There is definitely a difference here in the crazies versus those in Lawrence.  I had an up-close and personal encounter with one at the BART station today while I was asking a guy at the information desk a question.  I had just watched the officer walk back to his booth after having told the homeless guy to get out of there or else he would call someone.  But the guy...actually it could have been a woman for all I know...started saying incomprehensible things.  It wasn't even wearing proper bottoms.  Just a sweatshirt tied around their waist.  Sometimes I wonder what it must be like, having grown up or developed a mental disorder.

There are certain characteristics that I have noticed about many of the SF homeless:

  1. They use luggage bags to carry around their stuff.  Or a modified cart of some sort.  Grocery carts are too big for the sidewalks here, but they manage to find other metal carts with wheels. 
  2. They collect other's waste--today I saw a man frantically open up one of those cigarette butt holders and go searching through it.  All week I've seen them collect the cardboard that's set out on the sidewalk.
  3. They don't always appear to be in terrible physical condition.  
  4. They don't always hold signs.  Today I saw one that made me sad: "Will accept verbal abuse for change".

One thing that I recommend to anyone who is not familiar with an area:  Don't smile at people, and don't look in their direction when you see that you're coming close to them.  They take kindness as a hint that they'll get more from you, and maybe I should be one of those people that is generous with her money and time and help others out, but I wasn't raised that way.  So I apologize to any of my readers who are offended by my advice or my behavior.  I know others who don't have this instinct, and they either find themselves grasping for words to escape the situation they put themselves in or searching frantically for exit in the opposite direction.  

I remember giving money to a homeless man in Lawrence one time.  I was downtown with a group of students, and I was in elementary school.  I had a quarter in my pocket and we had just passed the man when I decided to run back, plop it into his cup, and catch up with the others.  The teacher scolded me, but I felt really great inside.  Very happy and proud of what I had accomplished.

Now, things are different.  I've been cultured to believe that there exists a "me" and "them".  

Today, I accomplished a lot.  In my eyes, at least.  Let's see...breakfast!  Oatmeal that wasn't so great until I added some sunflower peanut butter to it and then I was in a happy place.  Typed up a blog post, packed my bookbag.  Left the hostel to wander around and got my socks soaked all the way through.  Pants got pretty wet too.  Found refuge in a coffee shop called Muddy's, bought a scone that I forgot to take a picture of I was so hungry.  Left for a burrito at Palazote (or something like that) around the corner.  Voted best burrito in SF.  I got the chicken mole burrito and realized after drinking some water that I was really just thirsty.  Saved 3/4 for dinner, but now I'm thinking breakfast tomorrow. 


Found the public library.

Best moment of my day, hands down.  I think I need to make this a new tradition when I travel.  I thoroughly enjoyed being surrounded by locals in a quiet place of books.  I stayed for about an hour and a half and read Eat, Pray, Love while trying not to get too distracted by the guy across from me unfolding paper towels.  He also had a couple of vitamin bottles sitting in front of him, a pair of scissors, and a couple of glue sticks.  Who knows what that man was up to....From the amount of concentration on his face, I could tell that it was serious business.

After that, it was still raining pretty hard when I left the library.  The plan was to walk back to the hostel, drop off my burrito, then head to the Powell stop by BART.  It was the busiest stop each time I rode the rail, so I figured there must be something interesting there.  Turns out I was right!

Made a short pit stop for a scoop of pumpkin gelato, then I was on my way.


My walk back to the hostel zig-zagged like nobody's business, but I had fun doing it and discovered some pretty awesome art.  

Getting to Powell and Market street wasn't so bad.  That's where my run-in with Mr. Crazy occurred, but I figured things out.  Did I mention that I dropped my clipper card this morning?  I swear, just as I was starting to feel confident about things, I go and put it in my pocket, where it's liable to fall out if I try stuffing my phone in there and then pulling it out.  It was basically like dropping $8.75 on the ground.  :(

Bought another card this evening and put $10 on it.  Loaded another $5 online, which will hopefully get me through tomorrow.  After that, I don't know how much I'll need to pick up my car before I head off to Monterey.  Freedom at last with a vehicle of my own!  Hooray!

So Powell Street.  It feels like that big one in Chicago, 5th Avenue it's called, right?  Big.  Tall buildings, expensive designer clothing, and then you make it to the side streets like I did and you find Target and Gap.  Of course I had to do a bit of window shopping before I got this far, so I tried on a $400 dress and felt lovely.  The shirt ($88) and jeans ($158) you see below are from Apothecary.  Yes, mom, you can ask grandma Barbara to sew these look-alikes for me as a gift.  :)


 My view coming out from the BART station.  I felt very small.



This one I just threw in for the heck of it.  It's out of order, but I took this earlier in the day in the Mission District.  There have been a couple of these.  The other one I saw last night said "Stop eating animals".

Now, I am going to find my way back to my hostel, hopefully convince someone to go to tango with me at El Valenciano, and if not spend a lovely evening reading some more.  I felt more calm today than I have since I got here.  Must be doing something right.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu