Skip to main content

Day 1: San Francisco

Hey there!

Like I said in my last post, I knew that it would be a while before I wrote again.  I have done a lot of thinking between when I went to Manhattan and now, and made some pretty big decisions.

To catch you up, I'll give you the abbreviated version, and then explain why I am in San Francisco!


  • In the fall of 2016, I will be attending KU to finish my Bachelor's degree in Environmental Studies.  After careful deliberation and a lot of pro/con lists, I realized that sticking it out in Kansas for another two years rent-free is totally worth it.  When I thought about that time relative to the rest of my life, I realized that my time in Lawrence would be relatively short compared to how many more years I could spend elsewhere.  Plus, they always say to keep your family close, and I think that I should cherish the time I can spend with my grandma, grandpa, and parents while I can and while they're still alive.  Once I graduate, though, who knows where I'll go?  Only time will tell...
  • Secondly, my tour of K-State and their master's degree in Landscape Architecture was 100% worth my time.  They've made my list in case I feel like going that far in my education.

Now for the good stuff!  The following photo sort of epitomizes my day:



So why did Emily decide to go to San Francisco?  Well, aside from Sustainable Brands, BALLE, and Bitty being located here, I keep reading articles and coming across influential people in my field who either are from the area, work in the area, or did something important in the area.  So I'm here.  And I've heard nothing but good things from my friends who have already been.  I think that once a year, I need time to decompress, recollect myself, and become energized for the arduous tasks ahead of me.  This time, (and I will admit unknowingly), I have planned my trip at the very beginning of the year.  

I think everyone needs a break from normal schedules to do a little soul searching.  Reflective time to decide whether or not what they're doing is right for them, what their goals are in life are, etc.  I am an introvert at heart, and being around people all the time--especially the same people--sort of squishes you into a box that you feel you can't get out of.  Sometimes surrounding yourself with different perspectives and world views helps you realign yourself with what you really want out of life.  I think that in a way, this trip will help me along the journey.  Worse case, I can say that I planned and executed a week-long vacation to San Francisco by myself.  Not too shabby if you ask me.

Now back to the food.

There's something about a canoli that's been made from scratch (Including, yes, the chocolate chips) that just makes your heart smile.  I know mine did when I was offered a second one because everyone else on the food tour refused...

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Let's backtrack to 3:45 a.m., when I woke up this morning.

It's only 8:10 p.m. here but I'm beat, emotionally and physically.  I knew that today would be a little stressful, given this is my first big trip on my own out of Kansas, but I didn't realize it was enough to make my hands shake while I was driving.

My first panic attack occurred when the GPS on my phone told me to take Barry Road as an exit to get to the Park Air Express.  I specifically remembered my Dad telling me that it would be the same as going to the airport, except taking the exit right after the one for the terminals.  So "Barry Road" kind of scared the crap out of me, and as soon as I took the exit, the fear set in.  "Damn you, phone!  You better be right or I'm gonna be pissed if you make me miss my flight!"  Next thing you know, I'm taking another exit for I-29N and I'm even more freaked out.  Luckily, I could trust technology this time around and I made it right on time to my destination.  I got my car all checked in and made it to my terminal earlier than expected.

Then the second panic attack occurred, although this one slightly less dramatic because I couldn't justify expressing myself as passionately in a room full of anxious travelers.  United Airlines' system crashed right about the time I walked up to the line at the kiosk.  Lovely.  Not only that, but the family struggling in the line next to me to pay for their checked bags was moved in front of me.  I tried not looking at my watch too much, gulping down as much water as I could instead.  Maybe feeling full would distract me from the fact that my chances of missing my flight just increased about tenfold?

I finally got up to put my information in, and it took less than five minutes for everything to process.  Hooray!  TSA wasn't a big deal.  There was a family behind me, though, that was headed for Newark and asked to cut in front of everyone to get through the security lines.  I worried for them even though I had my own problems to deal with.  

At long last, I arrived at my boarding gate.  But not before the dad in that family I mentioned threw the baby seat he was holding on the floor with all the might he could muster.  It was a pretty scary moment.  The family had missed their flight.  :(

Me, however, I was right on time.  In three minutes, they started calling for the first group to board.  Called the parents, reassured them that I had made it through probably the toughest part of my day, and then took a moment to breathe.

Third panic attack:  Working an elevator.

Yes, you can laugh.  I did too, about twenty minutes later.  At the time, though, it was a big deal.  I pushed both buttons, nothing happened, and then I stepped out of the elevator.  (This was at the airport by the way).  I had to figure out how to get to the Millbrae line of the rail system, which was a floor below me.  The best part?  The man who I had just talked to at the info kiosk stepped out of his booth, hollering "You have to push the button and then the elevator will move!"

"Yeah, I know," I said, "But I pushed them and it didn't do anything."  I hopped inside despite my doubts, and whatdya know?  He was right.  

Fourth panic attack:  Getting on the wrong rail line.  But not really.  Just thinking I did because I went back and forth between the same spot before moving elsewhere.  Kind of nerve-wracking.

If there is one thing I am extremely grateful for today, it is having traveled to Russia and Washington, D.C.  The transit systems basically work the same, so after just watching others and "doing as the locals do", I felt like a true Friscan.  Is that what you call yourself if your from SF?  Not sure...I like the way it sounds though.  

I'm going to take a brief aside from the panic attacks and talk about the wonderful, wonderful parts of my visit to San Francisco so far.  First of all, MEXICO!  I had no idea that the neighborhood I am staying in is the most Hispanic of all.  Yes, yes, and yes.  And did I mention...YES?!  I can't stop smiling when I walk down Mission Street.  There are little tiendas and children exclaiming things in Spanish, colorful graffiti on walls and newspaper dispensers, signs in Spanish, and more Spanish, and it's like I could stay here forever.  I would become fluent so fast if I could just stay a little longer...

This is why I have to leave Kansas.  :)  Mom, you were totally right.  Once I visited California I would never want to come back home!

Other happy things about SF:  The houses.  The architecture is so unique here, with everything just squished right on top of each other.

 
For those of you young'uns who have seen the Disney show That's So Raven, you will understand why being here is kind of surreal....

I went on a food tour today.  It was three hours long, and stuffed me with so much delicious food that I didn't even need dinner today.  I met a lovely family through the tour who sort of adopted me for the afternoon, and it felt wonderful to be included in their little clique.  I would love to see them again when I am in California next and eat delicious food with them.  Being around foodies is refreshing.  :)  And...guess what? I took home half a pizza which is in the fridge of communal food!

Did I mention that my hostel is awesome?  The people here are so worldly and outgoing, chill and friendly, and the dogs make it feel nice and homey.  WAY better than a hotel.  Plus, the price makes it an even better steal!  Highly recommend booking through Airbnb for your next vacation.  Much more of a local feel.

Semi-panic attack number five:  Wondering whether or not to go back to the hostel once the sun went down.  I mean I know that's kind of a childish thing to do, but give me a break here.  This is my first big trip by myself, and I at the time I wasn't exactly sure where the nearest BART station was.  (That's the name of the rail line.)  In my search for the station, I ran across Powell Books, which I had read is a place that everyone should go.  So I went inside.  And I found myself standing for a long while in front of the Environmental Politics section.  I swear for those of you who have said that you see me becoming a politician someday, you might be on to something.  Or working with policy.  There's a difference, right?

After deciding that I shouldn't be adding any more weight to my luggage through the purchase of twenty books, I figured out how to get to Market Street, which is this lovely, bigger-than-you-will-ever-be street which made me feel a little like I was in Russia again--minus the history and beautiful canals.  With the wide streets, wide sidewalks, and Christmas-light-wrapped trees, what more could I ask for?

Found the BART station, made it back to the Mission district, and discovered many beautiful and enticing stores.  Among those was a place to tango on Tuesday night, a unique shop selling local art/scarves/socks/soaps/publications, and a wall with giant black letters that said "Jesus te ama".  (Jesus loves you)  It's hard to say whether or not seeing that was the thing that made my day.

This evening, I am pooped.  I bought some tylenol this morning thinking that I was getting a head cold, but the runny nose, sneezing, and prick in the back of my throat makes me think otherwise.  Housemates hooked me up with some allergy medicine and I'm feeling much better now.  

Tomorrow's plan?  Go on a tour to see Alcatraz, check out the Botanical Gardens, and get lost.   







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu