Skip to main content

5 mindset shifts that will forever change the way you travel





Whether you’ve taken a few trips on your own or you’ve never traveled solo before, it’s never a bad idea to consider the way your thought processes—i.e. your ability to handle stress—impacts your travel experiences. It’s amazing how simple planning strategies (such as allowing yourself extra time, minimizing the number activities in a day, assuming less than ideal conditions) allows you to be present and enjoy the moment with the strangers in your company.

On Day 1 of my first trip to Costa Rica, I felt eternally grateful for for a year’s worth of training my mind to operate differently so that I'm so calm I can actually meditate in the line for customs and immigration. How’s that for mindfulness?! 

Here's a simple list of 5 mindset shifts that have helped me while traveling alone, which you may find helpful as you embark on your own journey:

Mindset shift #1: Always expect to pay $15 for a single food item at the airport

If it turns out that the price is anything less you feel like it’s a deal, and if it’s a bit more, it's not a big deal. Having spent $20 on a burger and salad, which I’m fairly certain was a frozen beef patty but advertised otherwise, I felt okay. I was slightly disappointed, but not as much as I used to when I coughed up that kind of money for some grub.

Mindset shift #2: Always put your losses in perspective. And by losses, I mean lost belongings.

I misplaced my keys today. Actually, my coat, with all of my keys in the pocket. I’m fairly certain they are the women’s restroom on the first floor of La Guardia airport...But despite this unfortunate circumstance, there were four empowering thoughts that allowed me to get over it and move on:

Thought #1: What I lost was not as valuable as other similar items I own.
You can always put things in perspective by comparing it to something else that is worth more. (i.e. Thank goodness my car remote key was not attached. It cost me about $6 to replace my keys to the apartment, but it would have cost about $200 to get a new car remote.)

Thought #2: Did that item define me? Or will I survive without it?
It's so easy for us to get emotionally attached to physical items. Indeed, a lot of things that get lost carry significant sentimental value. However, I only paid $40 for that coat, and bought it used, so I was already doing my part environmentally. I also realized that it doesn't embody my future wardrobe, which is a bit more classy, so I’m taking it as the universe’s way of saying I needed the upgrade. :)

Thought #3: Phoning a friend for help is never a bad idea, especially when you’ve not dealt with the issue before
After a quick exchange of text messages, my mom gave me some great advice to file a report through the airport, so best case scenario I could have it shipped back to me in Minneapolis. Alternatively, if the shipping outweighs the cost of replacing the coat and keys, I’m back at my original solution. No harm, no foul.

Thought #4: My social networks will support me
Remember that you are not alone. You live in a world of people surrounded by others also experiencing pain, loss, grief, etc. It is okay to lean on the kindness and generosity of others when you need it. I knew my neighbor had a spare key, so even if my housemate wasn't around when I got back home, I'd have some way of getting into the apartment.

Mindset shift #3: Know what messages you’re putting out into the world through your clothing and baggage and take advantage of the connections with strangers!

I met a pilot trainer on a shuttle today who graduated from K-State, now lives in St. Louis, and grew up in Kansas City, just 45 minutes away from my hometown. His wife attended the University of Minnesota and his son is pursuing marketing at K-State. The hint that started the conversation? A Jayhawk pin on my bookbag. It wasn’t clear what the benefit would be from this interaction, other than connecting with a fellow Kansan, until suddenly I found myself walking off the plane and hear the pilot call out “Have a great trip, Emily!”

Now THAT’S customer service. :)

But seriously. It never hurts to chat it up with those around you, as you may find yourself suddenly having a potential business clients, friends in common, or a place to stay the next time you visit!

Mindset shift #4: Don’t be afraid to immerse yourself into the local scene
While my example from today is rather minor, you can learn so much more about a place and its people by taking the road less traveled. In this case, that meant not booking through an official taxi service, and instead booking through the cousin of my Airbnb host. Little did I know that my driver, Rafael, would also be half Mexican and a huge fan of motorcycles. I walked away from the experience with an offer for a tour guide in San Jose should I return, and some great stories about driving Harley's across the States. 

Mindset shift #5: Never take a hot shower for granted
There’s something truly beautiful about operating with very little. I stepped into the hotel room (I think I paid $26) and felt gloriously like I was back in Las Pintas . The simplicity of everything just felt right. No frills, just the basics. The common spaces were exquisite, with colorful umbrellas hanging from the ceiling in the courtyard, a soft teal hue radiating from the crystal glass bar, and tons of open space on the upper level. If you’re traveling to multiple locations and have the budget, making your first and last nights’ accommodation slightly nicer than the rest is totally the way to go! I forgot until I got here that breakfast would be served the following morning. 

There were so many other highlights from my first day. Mostly just doing a SHIT ton of journaling while working my way through Rha GoddessThe Calling: 3 Fundamental Shifts to Stay True, Get Paid, and Do Good. I’m intrigued by the common theme of forgiveness in both Rha’s approach and that of Vishen Lakhiani in The Code of the Extraordinary Mind, which I finished last month. I'm sure coming posts will reveal my new affinity for personal growth/development. The common theme I'm seeing?  Everything comes down to mindset.

I could sense that today, even after only a hundred pages into the book, I’ve experienced a subtle shift...an opening, if you will, of my heart to new warm, brilliant, provocative ideas that were struggling to germinate. I feel I am going to return from this trip a changed woman...

The real question is...how will your mindset shifts change YOU? And the way you travel?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu