Skip to main content

Getting along...in Minnesota!

Tomato tasting of over 60 varieties at Cornercopia (farm on St. Paul campus)


Tomorrow starts week three of classes. Week five of living in Minnesota. I dare say that despite the hiccups along the way, I'm quite happy in my new surroundings. No, I haven't hit it off with anyone in class and made a thousand new friends as a result, my job is far from as intellectually engaging than I anticipated, and find myself spending more time in the kitchen than the library...Despite my less-than-cinematic adventure, I find myself smiling at the way my co-workers pronounce 'bag', the way people around here cancel volleyball tournaments when it's 85 degrees due to excessive heat, and the fact that being a student means I will still be quite limited in the time I have to explore in the next two years.

I am also starting to realize some important things about what I want for myself and my employees in a future business that I run, which is not something I could have said just two weeks ago. Transparency is key. I want to feel like when I tell the story of my farm to others, I can do so without having anything to hide, or feeling like I am misleading customers. I want my employees to feel like their work is meaningful and that they come into the business knowing that they can learn and advance themselves up the ladder of knowledge and responsibility. These are some of the main reasons why I have left previous places of employment. I either felt like the business was not honest with customers, I maxed out on what I could learn in the position I was in, or my ideas for improvement were either ignored or just not implemented, due to lack of funds or the willingness to change.

I started thinking about these things because of a wonderful conversation with a Mary Kay saleswoman. She was so enthusiastic about continuing to stay in touch with me that I just couldn't resist sharing my business card. A few weeks later, she called me up and asked me what I wanted to do with my life, with genuine curiosity. What kind of a farm do you want, she asked. The words that fell out of my mouth came from the heart, and I could tell that being a storyteller is be one of the most important things I can do as a farmer (as planner, too, I am learning).

What kind of a farm do I want? I'm not sure, I told her. It's really less about what I'm doing than how people feel when they're at my farm, I said. I want people to feel like they can be themselves. That they are perfectly comfortable in their own skin, and that they can be rich or poor, speak English or not, and get along perfectly well with the strangers next to them. I want them to feel like our farm is a place to come to become revitalized internally, to become inspired, and to feel like they can come back often instead of for just a special occasion. I want it to feel artistic, organic, building off of the creativity of those that are drawn to the space.

What exactly I will grow, raise, or process, and who I will do it with is still to be determined. These values, however, are things that I can bring with me as I work towards narrowing in on what that is.

To all of my readers: What makes your favorite places unique? Why do you keep coming back, and how do you feel when you leave?

Honeycrisp? Or Cortland? Come pick 'em to find out! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu