Skip to main content

The wonderful world of CUTCO




I take a deep breath after ringing my neighbor’s doorbell. The weight of my book bag pulls on my shoulders, filled with a rather odd assortment of produce this time around: a carrot, a potato, and half an onion. The shape of the leather bag in my hands feels abnormally unwieldy. How many others have gone through this mental battle with themselves, wanting to flee the scene before the process has even started, I ask myself. My trajectory leading up to this moment feels like a whirlwind, considering this is my fourth week on the job.
Back track to mid-December. My hours in catering are pretty much zero, I’m working a few hours as an intern for a startup which gives me hope for the future, but it’s certainly not going to allow me to put anything in savings. I’m recalling the last conversation with my parents, tears streaming down my face as I try to explain why taking out a loan to cover my living expenses is in the best interest of my mental health. The monetary struggles in my life are for real. And as much as money hasn’t been the primary motivation for the part-time work I’ve pursued up to this point in my life, having chosen to work in hotels for Spanish practice and on farms to learn about growing food, I knew that working three jobs during the school year to cover my living expenses would be unsustainable. Longing for the feeling of financial stability, I vowed that 2019 would be the year of monetary success. At least to the point that I didn’t have a sinking feeling in my stomach every time I paid rent.
            But before I get ahead of myself, let’s return to my neighborly adventure. I’ve just spent the past hour explaining my life goals and dreams of graduating debt-free, all the while demonstrating the impeccable cutting abilities of a handful of kitchen knives. The demo comes to a close and I feel uncomfortable. My neighbors, nice enough with their kids as a distraction and ice-breaker, appeared unimpressed, giving a standoffish vibe. They offered me one referral and I don’t know what else to do. We stand awkwardly in their entryway. I thank them for their time, ramble on about the value of homes that have been custom built, and suggest saying hello to each other if we find ourselves crossing paths at neighborhood social functions. The hugs are even worse, with that weird lean-in hug so that our stomachs don’t touch. Whatever. I tried, I think to myself. Wrapped up like an eskimo, I step outside into the icy air and walk home, wondering if those bright eyes I had in training were fooled by dollar signs…
Screenshot from one of my infamous Cutco videos
            Let’s be real. Being a Sales Representative for Vector Marketing and showing Cutco is  complicated business. It’s not just about selling knives. And it’s not just about making some extra cash. In fact, it’s not even about building relationships, which is what I was convinced would keep me in the game for the long haul. To give you some background, Cutco is a direct sales company that’s been around since 1949 and sells knives predominantly through multi-level marketing. Cutco acquired Vector Marketing Company in 1985, and is known for targeting high school and college students. Oddly enough, I’d never heard of it before stumbling across their ad on Craigslist.
Having taken a few weeks off from performing demos, I can see with greater clarity that the real advantage in working for Vector--known by the old dogs as the ‘Vector Opportunity’--is the chance to spend time with people who don’t think like me; people from completely different backgrounds, ages, educational interests, or lack of interest in school altogether. I was the only graduate student in Urban Planning that I know of in the Vector’s Twin Cities offices in my cohort. I may have actually been the only graduate student, period. Most of the others were high school or undergraduate students, many with a background in finance or business, or not a clue what to do in the future. One thing we all have in common was a desire to see our checking accounts as a source of abundance rather than scarcity; to graduate from school without the immense debt that most of our classmates carried well into their thirties. That being said, money was not my motive for pursuing a career in food systems.
A moment when I felt this truism come to light occurred during training, when I instinctually cringed as one of the Reps rubbed his fingers together after being asked about his favorite part about the job. There were other ‘red flags’ of sorts that made me feel uncomfortable around the others: the division manager’s emphasis of materialistic, and in my mind, upper-class rewards, such as a Rolex, BMW, and a night on the town at a fancy steakhouse; the phrase ‘we sell kitchen knives to moms’.  All of these were unappealing to me and represented the consumerist impulses I work to rein in on a daily basis and gendered norms that feel out of line with where we are as a society today. Less is more, I always tell myself. What you need versus what you want are vastly different things, and as soon as you put these items in their respective places, happiness will follow naturally. How do the gender-neutral bathrooms on campus and “Mr and Mrs. Jones” from the sales script fit into the same picture?
Recognizing that one of the biggest motivators for my colleagues was money, and that many of them resided in the affluent suburbs surrounding the Edina office, I soon realized that I would probably never see myself spending time with these people under normal circumstances. This girl bought a pineapple for every demo? Are you serious, I asked myself incredulously. Does she have any idea how few months out of the year are they actually in season? And how much was she paying out of pocket in order to make a sale--with no guarantee that she even will? Who would work for a company that doesn’t pay for travel expenses and training when they are required components of the job--the only components, I would argue, that allow you to succeed? Surely not anyone with a sensical bone in their body, I mused.
            Yet I kept coming back.To the morning phoning sessions, the weekly team meetings...all of it. I was in the midst of serious cognitive dissonance. Of course at the time I didn’t recognize this for what it was. I’m here for the money, too, I thought. What makes my desire for financial stability any different than the person sitting next to me? And what makes this work environment so attractive? I settled on a handful of characteristics that make Cutco sales reps and management staff a model for the kind of positive culture I aspire to create as a supervisor one day, should I ever be in such a position:
  • Constant encouragement
  • A growth, or abundance, mindset
  • Determination to succeed
  • Willingness to fail and learn from it

Knowing that I wasn’t getting paid for the time that I came to the office was difficult to justify, recalling conversations with my dad about labor laws that require employers to pay for training, the number of breaks you’re legally required to have when you work so many hours, etc. Having worked for many years as a housekeeper, I am well aware of what it feels like to be taken advantage of.  But if I’m enjoying myself, I wondered, is it really a violation of my rights? I pushed thoughts of the ROI of my time to the back of my mind, convinced that the benefits of being in this space would reap greater benefits than a fat paycheck.
            Three weeks after my first day of training, I found myself invited to YEB, Vector’s infamous Year-End Banquet. The turning point, I would argue, in my Vector Career.  If I’m going to do this for real, I thought, I might as well go all in, right? I rationalized the time away for the weekend with learning skills that would pay for themselves soon after my return. Little did I know that I would come away feeling more confused about Vector’s strategy than assured that my job with them could be the variable that changed the way I thought about money.
            Don’t get me wrong. Vector’s got some great things going for them, and some truly inspiring sales reps. But that doesn’t change their gendered sales script, predominantly white sales reps, consumerist incentives, unpaid training, and somewhat questionable pay structure.  The situation, and my criticism of Vector would be different if my time wasn’t so valuable. Having been criticized for my volunteerism throughout junior high and high school and constantly asked the question “Why don’t you get a real job?”, I tend to evaluate the opportunity cost of nearly every decision I make--perhaps at the expense of living a more spontaneous life--but this begs the question. Would I have been better off financially if I had spent all that time in between semesters writing scholarship essays instead of learning how to sell knives? Better yet, would ‘entrepreneur’ have made it into the list of adjectives I use to describe myself now?
            Let’s take a step back, though, and look at the other side of the penny. That is, the person who I’ve become because of Cutco. The audacity I possess that I didn’t before. The cover letters I can write. The renewed confidence I have in my own abilities and the faith that my hard work, no matter what I decide to pursue, will pay off in the end. My conversational skills with strangers. Recognition that my self-motivation is a quality that makes me stand apart from others. I am a different person because of this job, largely because it forced me to take inventory of my own skills. Sometimes I wonder if, along the way, I picked up skills that will make the opportunity cost of not working a regular, hourly-wage job pay off in the end.
            So what’s the point? How does this relate to my job as a Social Media Strategist for Voices for Rural Resilience? Primarily it comes down to this idea of tension. We navigate it everyday. Yet when do we take the time to recognize its presence? Or intentionally put ourselves in tension-filled spaces? I owe it to Vector for putting me in a place that I felt very uncomfortable, but learned how to come back to time and time again so that I could understand the other side of the equation--a different spectrum of values that I constantly try to shy away from. I do this because I feel like I would betray my own set of beliefs about money and happiness by spending time with people who see them so differently than myself, or so I think. Do we really see the world so differently from each other? Or is it just a wall we create in our heads to be in ‘safe spaces’ of like-minded people?
Dig this. We separate ourselves from what we believe is good and bad consciously and unconsciously, until we find ourselves in echo chambers that amplify our own thoughts. Through employment, education, recreational activities...we enjoy spending time with people who are like us because it prevents conflict. At the same time, though, we facilitate judgement, criticism, and the pointing of fingers in the opposite direction, when really, we should probably be pointing the fingers at ourselves.
This is one of the best parts about my job for Voices for Rural Resilience. Not only do I get to help people share stories about the complexities of their own identity and encourage them to get out of their comfort zone, but I get to test out the same strategies I suggest on myself. It’s a constant process, removing yourself emotionally from a situation even just for a few seconds to see how you ended up there, how you could be doing a better job of listening, and evaluating the possibility of challenging yourself just a little bit more the next day. These ideas sound vague, but that’s because it looks so differently for each of us. For me, it might look like asking my Somalian classmate to share with me how he believes he is misperceived. Next week it may be through my decision to shop at a new grocery store. This year...developing a meaningful relationship with someone of a different socioeconomic background. Each day is not only a challenge but an opportunity to be better, and through my work with VRR I am reminded of just how lucky we are to act on that in ways that work for us and our imperfections.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating Goodbye's And Owning Your Emotions

Last Tuesday I woke up with a feeling of heaviness, realizing that the time I had left during my trip to Costa Rica had come to a close. Up to now, I had been doing pretty well handling my emotions. Last year, it was a full two weeks prior to my departure that I cried uncontrollably. In random moments throughout the day, I would find myself bursting into tears, thinking about the future and it not being the same. This year, it didn’t really hit me until a few days prior. I pushed off packing until the night before my flight, not wanting to face the reality that within a little more than 24 hours I’d find myself in a much cooler place where I couldn’t just throw on a tank top and get started with my day.  I’m writing today on my personal blog instead of for Mezclada, where I’ve been writing about my experiences for the last several months, but mostly from the perspective of financial literacy and mindfulness. The reason is that today’s topic, which it has a lot to do with mindfulness,

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu

Navegando adiós y siendo dueño de tus emociones

El martes pasado me desperté con una sensación de pesadez al darme cuenta que el tiempo que me quedaba de mi viaje a Costa Rica había llegado a su fin. Hasta ahora, me había ido bastante bien manejando mis emociones. El año pasado, fueron dos semanas completas antes de mi partida que lloré incontrolablemente. En momentos aleatorios a lo largo del día, me encontraba rompiendo a llorar, pensando en el futuro y que no sería el mismo. Este año, realmente no me golpeó hasta unos días antes. Dejé de empacar hasta la noche anterior a mi vuelo, sin querer enfrentar la realidad de que en poco más de 24 horas me encontraría en un lugar mucho más fresco donde no podría simplemente ponerme una camiseta sin mangas y comenzar con mi día. Estoy escribiendo hoy en mi blog personal en lugar de para Mezclada, donde he estado escribiendo sobre mis experiencias durante los últimos meses, pero principalmente desde la perspectiva de la educación financiera y la atención plena. La razón es que el tema de ho