Skip to main content

Some semi-final conclusions

As a reminder, I embarked on this journey a little over four weeks ago to ultimately assess the differences/similarities between food systems development in the state of Kansas/Douglas County and Melbourne/state of Victoria.  To make the information easier to digest, I decided to put it in table form.

P.S. I found out that I've been accepted to the University of Minnesota's Masters in Urban and Regional Planning program for next fall!  :)  I've also been accepted into an internship program through KU for this summer in Singapore...

The purpose behind making this table was to simplify some of the complexity of the food initiatives that I was exposed to while in Australia.  I chose maybe one or two examples for each 'shared' characteristic to give an example instead of providing an exhaustive list.  This led me to some more conclusions which require greater explanation, which follows.



Kansas
Shared
Victoria
State-Level




Slower development of multi-faceted local foods; little funding from state-level to carry out objectives in reports such as Feeding Kansas
Local foods research initiatives




Wine industry as contributor to agricultural revenue


Short history of local foods development; Stronger support at city than state level








More positive reaction and support for local foods as evidenced by quick Google searches, existing documentation

City/County-Level









Food rescue one part of many duties of single organization (Just Food)


Centered around “Feeding America”, being the America’s breadbasket














Stronger programs nationally; not necessarily in KS



Greater pride in products made from/in Kansas than from other countries; embrace for other cultures is more specific to food than the wider social culture
Gleaning organizations

Farmers Markets



Grassroots initiatives


Food system planning as recognized by the city through reports, employment, outreach

Food Rescue





Agricultural identity

















Support for new/young growers




Foodie culture






Food rescue as stand-alone organizations (Second Bite, OzHarvest)

Based around Australia being a colony; short history of being its own country; embraces multiculturalism; situation unique in that it’s an island; greater focus on interdependence (lots of trade agreements with China) rather than self-sufficiency

Beginning farmer programs are just starting up in Melbourne



Centered around embracing all the ethnicities present in the city; pride in being authentic



One thing that I realized in working on putting this together is that it is hard for me to isolate my 'food system' experiences from all the others.  I think that just goes to show that our food system is deeply integrated to other parts of our daily routines.  Maybe this is why food system planning makes so much sense in terms of effectiveness--because food is our baseline for all the other activities that take place during the day.

Anyways, I wanted to expand a little bit on the wine industries characteristic to give you a better idea of the differences in magnitude that wine represents for the agricultural economies of the state of Kansas and Victoria.  In Kansas, as of 2010, there were 23 wineries.  In 2017, wineries contributed just under $30 million to the Kansas economy, which stands in stark contrast to Victoria's wine industry, which comprised over 800 wineries and contributed 1.04 billion to the state's economy.  Victoria is one of the three largest wine producing states in the entire country.  I'll admit I was pretty surprised to see such a difference.  In class the other day one of our professors mentioned the wine industry accounting for less than 5% of the state's agricultural production, but to me it seems like there are quite a few wineries here.  And that may be because I often think of the places in Missouri I've been to with my parents.  There are a lot popping up in Weston, MO, from what I've heard recently.

It fascinates me to think about the potential for agritourism in Kansas and how we could better market our wineries and other 'outdoor adventures' to make this state a destination for travelers.  When I think of places I want to visit, I hardly ever think of sticking around in the Midwest.  There's a group working on just this topic in my capstone class for environmental studies majors this semester, so it'll be cool to see what they end up putting together.  I'd love to see them convince me to stay here.  :)

Another thing I started working on at the same time as this blog post was thinking about a presentation I have to give about my research over the last three semesters at the Environmental Studies Symposium.  I realized that, while the focuses of my research were all kind of different, there was the common theme of moving from a smaller scale to a bigger one.  For instance, my summer research looked at the barriers to entry for young and beginning farmers in Kansas, and I focused on female farmers.  Then in the fall, I compared food policy reports from across the country, and moved to a national scale.  Finally, over the winter I took my knowledge to the international realm by comparing food system development efforts in Melbourne/Victoria and Kansas. 

I wrote down a list of the biggest takeaways from these experiences, which will probably make it into my presentation, but I think that they're worth sharing with my digital audience:
  1. A more narrow research question will serve you better than a wide one
  2. Research doesn't have to be mundane and can in fact help with clarifying career goals
  3. Often times the only way to know what you want is to know what you don't want
  4. The field of food and farming is where I belong
  5. Sometimes you have to leave the comfort of your surroundings to fully appreciate how comfortable you were
  6. Life is too short to let someone else make decisions about your future for you
  7. To go along with that, dream BIG, unapologetically

Sometimes when I reflect on everything that I've done and managed to accomplish at this point, I get nervous.  Like it's too good to be true, or it's all about to crumble in a car accident, a broken bone, or something else traumatic.  It's also freaky to think about the fact that I'm only 23!  Definitely not keeping up with Leonardo DiCaprio by having founded a Foundation by the time I was 22, but I'm doing alright...Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more adventures!  (Most likely to take place in Singapore this summer)

References:
Australian Grape and Wine Authority (2015). Economic Contribution of the Australian Wine Sector.  Gillespie Economics.  Retrieved from https://www.wineaustralia.com/getmedia/faaff2eb-8fb0-463b-bca7-35d4b7ac39e3/Final-AgEconlus-Economic-Contribution-Australian-Wine-Sector?ext=.pdf 

Kansas Department of Agriculture. (2017). Estimated Economic Impact of Agriculture, Food, and Food Processing Sectors. Retrieved from http://agriculture.ks.gov/docs/default-source/ag-marketing/ag-contribution-2017.pdf?sfvrsn=20

Wine Victoria. (2018). "Regional Economic Development Strategy and Service Deliver Model". Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources.  Retrieved from https://economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au/about-us/overview/strategies-and-initiatives 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu