Skip to main content

Navigating Goodbye's And Owning Your Emotions



Last Tuesday I woke up with a feeling of heaviness, realizing that the time I had left during my trip to Costa Rica had come to a close. Up to now, I had been doing pretty well handling my emotions. Last year, it was a full two weeks prior to my departure that I cried uncontrollably. In random moments throughout the day, I would find myself bursting into tears, thinking about the future and it not being the same. This year, it didn’t really hit me until a few days prior. I pushed off packing until the night before my flight, not wanting to face the reality that within a little more than 24 hours I’d find myself in a much cooler place where I couldn’t just throw on a tank top and get started with my day. 

I’m writing today on my personal blog instead of for Mezclada, where I’ve been writing about my experiences for the last several months, but mostly from the perspective of financial literacy and mindfulness. The reason is that today’s topic, which it has a lot to do with mindfulness, is much more personal. 

The lesson I have to share is one that I am still grappling with, struggling with, wrapping my head around. Good byes, even after my 28 years of life, have not gotten any easier. And I think I’ve found that as I live my life more fully and embrace more deeply the highs and lows, that they become even more intense. 

I’ll never forget when I left my sister in Australia almost five years ago. I bawled my eyes out for probably 12 of the 14 hours of the longest flight, realizing that there were so many things I left unsaid, that I missed her so much and that the time we shared together was truly lovely. I knew an experience like that wasn’t going to happen again. And I think that’s part of what made it so challenging to pull away from her apartment. “Don’t die” was her advice as my taxi pulled up. I’m still laughing at her farewell.

“Te voy a extrañar mucho” were my last words today, but they should have been “I’ll see you soon. I love you. Happy birthday.”

Sometimes there’s people that leave an indelible mark on your heart, even when they’re not physically present with you, and I think I’ve met one of those people. Saying goodbye, even for a weekend, I found, is so hard, even when you know you’re coming back. 

When you’ve lost people in your life, you start to think about good byes in a different way. Because you start to question whether it’s going to be the last one. If you’ll actually have the chance to see that individual again, give them a fierce hug, laugh with them, cry with them, share stories and memories. 

But here’s the thing. I feel like I’m growing in my maturity level, or at least my ability to navigate good bye’s. And the reason is this: I’ve done A LOT of work on coming to terms with and navigating my emotions, having curiosity for what I feel instead of judgement, and accepting that some days just aren’t good ones. 

Sometimes you have sad days. And that’s okay. What’s not okay is finding ways to escape from the pain that are unhealthy, filling your mind and time with content so that you don’t face what’s actually going on. One of the biggest themes I find that connects all of these moments is that it’s not just a goodbye. It’s the change that comes with the goodbye. 

So here’s my word of advice - mostly to myself - but also for readers that inevitably will find themselves in a similarly emotionally sticky situation. Lean into the pain of change. Sit with it. Revel in it. Don’t feel like there’s something wrong with you for being sad. Let the tears flow. Sit in the gratitude of the good moments you had and know that more are on their way. Savor the times when you have the opportunity to say what’s on your mind. And recognize that it’s actually never too late. Even if the person you want to talk with doesn’t exist anymore in the physical plane…

I find that as I’ve lost people who are dear to me, I have access to them at any time that I want. I just have to believe that they are there with me, responding as they always would. It’s comforting, and it can often help me when I’m struggling. 

Whatever this looks like for you, you do you. Make your process your own, whether that means going for a walk, listening to music, playing an instrument, immersing yourself in nature, meditating, etc. 

Know that you’re not alone, and that there’s always a loving spirit within you that’s wrapping its arms around you, giving you the comfort you need.

I found it incredibly serendipitous that within a day of drafting this post, I stumbled across a podcast episode through Counter Cultural that resonated with everything I'm saying. I hope that, should you choose to listen to this, Jas' words will similarly feel like a big hug and a permission slip to feel, to give yourself the comfort you need, to set healthy boundaries, and to lean into curiosity for your emotions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu

The beginning of my summer adventure

So...I wanted to see where I had left off the last time I posted, and didn't realize that it was all the way back in February!  That means that you missed out on my April visit day adventure, my whirlwind of graduation, saying goodbyes at the farm, my apartment search in Minneapolis, and my offer/acceptance of a summer internship in Beloit, KS. I'll keep some of the back story abbreviated because I think that some of my best writing will focus on (strangely enough) the beauty of living in rural Kansas. I, of all people, having grown up in Lawrence and felt that it was way too small for my liking, am falling in love with the calm and relaxed nature of small-town living. But first! For the catch up on other life happenings, and how I got to Beloit in the first place. 1. Summer internship applications Applied for one with the Kauffman Foundation in Kansas City, one in Alaska related to conservation, another in Singapore, and of course one through K-State Research and Exten