Skip to main content

10 weeks of clarity and it's only just the beginning

Final Showcase for ILT Academy in St Cloud

Photos & descriptions of all the entrepreneurs in our cohort

I've been feeling a pull to write recently, but in a much more consistent way. One of the things I've heard over and over again about success is that it's almost really just a numbers game. On a recent Copyblogger podcast episode, the co-hosts spoke about how it's important for writers to 1) not be afraid to try different topics or approaches out and 2) allowing your audience/future customers/readers to show you what's needed or missing in the market. Once you've figured out what resonates with people, just KEEP going down that path. Find the message that resonates, and find 1000 different ways to say the same thing.

I absolutely loved that idea, as it related to a recent article I had to read for class as part of ILT Academy, a an entrepreneurship course that I've been investing a lot of my time in over the last ten weeks. The idea behind the bullseye method is that you are testing out several different market channels at once, but in a small way, and wherever you see traction is where you should start to direct all of your energies because it's going to have the best ROI.

I was thinking about how this might apply to my own business, but combining it with my intuition about what I feel resonates most with my skillset, what feels effortless, and the kind of customers/people I want to attract/work with.

Here was my original list of market channels:

What’s possible:

  1. Podcast

  2. Social ads

  3. Interviews

  4. Guest posts

  5. Guest podcast interviews

  6. Blogging

  7. Vlogging

  8. Guest speaking

  9. Workshops

  10. Print ads

  11. Digital google ads

  12. LinkedIn outreach

  13. 10-day challenge

  14. Freebie

  15. Self-guided free course

  16. 1:1 free consultations

  17. Free coaching session

  18. Co-design a course - teach

  19. Teach free classes

  20. Attend conferences/workshops

  21. Sponsor events


What’s probable?

  1. Podcast

  2. Guest blog writing

  3. Blogging

  4. Guest speaking

  5. Co-design & teach a course

And here's what I landed on as my top ones to test out in 2022:

  • Blogging

  • Guest blogging

  • Podcast

Granted, there's a lot of context here. I haven't been sharing much about Mezclada, or how it's developing, and that was mostly because I didn't know either! More on this in future posts.

Here's the areas in which I've gained clarity over the last ten weeks about what I want this business to become - or really, I should say what the universe has chosen me to create, because in many ways I feel like I didn't choose this - it chose me. 

1. Mezclada is destined to become a lifestyle brand for farmers in the same way that John Deere kind of stands for a whole generation of growers. But not just any growers. For the emerging generation of farmers that haven't had a voice, a community, or a space that they could claim as their own. It's for the voices that have been silenced, those operating on the margins, and those that are bootstrapping their way to success because most of the existing farmer support programs don't recognize them as legitimate or part of the priorities for government subsidies.

2. Everything about Mezclada is designed to fly in the face of hustle culture. It's about deepening people's relationships to themselves, to the earth, and to each other. The element of shared humanity that unites us all as eaters is key. This is something I never want to lose - patience, rest, nourishment...all of the things that I've been working to create for myself I want to help others create for themselves, and use their farm businesses as a vehicle for achieving it. Radical, right?! 

3. When you lean into the why and the what and have faith that everything is going to fall in place, the 'how' suddenly becomes irrelevant. This is how I'm hoping to focus my energies moving forward with this business. Slow and steady progress, listen to the inner voice, wisdom, and intelligence of my body to help me make the right decisions, and just keep going in the direction that's filled with synchronicity. The people I meet and the places I end up are not a coincidence.

4. It is paramount that I seek to always live at my highest frequency or vibration - that is, operate from a place of love, joy, and gratitude! It's contagious and I know it and whatever structures for accountability I need to put in place to ensure this must be the foundation for how I operate. Now, in 2022, and beyond. I'm not surprised that it took me most of my 20s to realize this. Most of my 20s I spent in college, surrounded by deadlines, semesters, the next milestone, and sleep deprivation. Even though it's been almost two years since I graduated, it's been challenging to rewire my consciousness to get out of the 'go go go' mentality. One of the reasons why I fell in love with rural living was the slow pace of life and the deep relationships. The way people really valued time with you and you didn't feel like they were rushing to get off to the next appointment. What I've found, though, is that burnout and exhaustion can happen anywhere, even if you ARE located in a rural place. It's up to us as individuals to take responsibility for the pace of our lives. And to surround ourselves with others who will celebrate this slowness with us. Not all businesses, people, or organizations in rural places embrace this. And this has been a lesson I had to learn for myself these last two years.

So what's next?

Three months in Costa Rica, for one, which I am beyond excited about. I've been conscious of tempering my enthusiasm when I talk to others for fear of inciting even greater jealousy. I'm literally the only person I know in my field that is doing something like this. All the other 'snowbirds' I've met are retired, and have no real obligations to place in the way that my job does. Yet, I have the incredible and enthusiastic support from my employer to live my best life, knowing that I can achieve what I set out to do when I set my mind to it. For this, I am truly grateful.

I've decided to use my time abroad to take a break from the long days and nights homework and gig work on top of work. I've been doing some copywriting work on the side and absolutely LOVE it. It's effortless and joyful and I literally get paid to play with words. I'm seriously considering exploring this as a next career move, or finding a way to integrate this into Mezclada's offerings, as I just find so much fulfillment and satisfaction from helping others express their vision with clarity to the world. In my recent explorations of human design (more on this in a future post), I've learned that I have a defined throat center, which is the center from which the other centers are given voice. For those who are familiar with this system, my other defined centers include the ajna, the G center, and the sacral center. The throat center is all about communication, manifestation, and transformation. In learning about my human design, I feel I've been able to understand myself better and learn to leverage my body's intelligence to guide me in the right direction. It's so. Freakin. Cool.

Anyways, Mezclada is being formed with intention. I've decided to find an alternative way of pursuing my growing desires this coming season that supports someone else in their operation while I build out the personal growth education part of my business, and it gives me great relief to know that I won't have to do it all alone.

There's so many farmers in my area doing great things, and if I can find a way to bring my gifts to their operation, all the better!

Excited to keep folks in the loop and continue experimenting with this thing called life. :) Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu