Skip to main content

Let us take a moment to pause while mother nature heaves

My source of hope. Planting. 


You know how some days you feel like you're flying high as the sky and others really put you down in the dumps? I'm not really sure what's happening right now, but I get the sense that people are waking up as mother nature speaks her truth. She's done playing games. And we're watching. We're working to survive the storm.

Recently, as I've spoken with friends and family about the woes of tumultuous weather and the toll it's taking on our farmers out here in West Central Minnesota, for the first time I've noticed that about 90% of people respond in the same way: "it's not weird, Emily, it's climate change." For the first time in my life do I feel like I am no longer the minority in not only believing - but knowing - this to be true. I've known about climate change since I was just a little kid. We started talking about it when I was in the 4th grade. Yet I always felt like this little bubble in my little hippie town, constantly at odds with the majority around me.

Today things look and feel different, as the rhetoric around what's happening with the weather is no longer about what's causing things to happen, but how to adapt. We've moved into adaptation phase, which in many ways makes my heart ache, but also means that a lot more people are willing to put money behind doing the right thing when it comes to taking action.

Which brings me to this notion of what it feels like when mother nature heaves. You know that feeling when you puke and your whole body convulses and you just want it to be over? Sometimes it lasts for so long that the next day your entire abdomen is sore from all the work of spewing out whatever didn't belong in there. What's happening now feels like a giant heave. There's been all of these things sort of mixing around and stewing - like when you take a couple of medications that don't mix together - you start to feel the rumbling, and you know it's not going to end well. 

I feel like I felt the rumbling since I first started learning about what climate change could look like at its worst. No one ever talked about what it would feel like to be surrounded by death. They just talked about wildfires and tsunamis and flooding and excessive heat. Combine the two, and you've got a recipe for systems change. 

It's a bit challenging, though, when the systems that we build weren't designed for change. In many ways, mother nature wants to spur us on to the next chapter in the evolution of our species as mankind. Yet so many of us are holding on to what was, which makes it hard for whatever greatness is on its way. 

I write with a heavy heart today in honor of all those who we have lost. Because new systems must be built from what came before it. New knowledge must build on that which came before it. I write in honor of all of those who are in the process of leaving the current body they are in, moving into some other form, universe, life, whatever you believe in. All of those who will die in the coming minutes, months, and years. I write not having one single person in my immediate friend or family circle pass away from COVID-19, yet feeling the mourning and grieving all around me. I write in honor of the farmers out there who put their heart and soul and love and gratitude into the seeds they sow, and watch their plants get washed away, burnt by chemicals, bolt to seed, and damaged by hail. I feel your pain deep within me, even if I may not have experienced it myself. 

I think they might call that empathy...haha or maybe I'm just learning to tap into my feminine side, but whatever the case, I want you to know that you are not alone. There are so many of us out there who are experiencing the same casualties - of plants, of loved ones - and we're fighting the pain, too.

We're taking deep breaths and wiping away tears and getting up in the morning to put our passion into another day. We're smiling harder than we ever have because we're not sure when someone is going to make us laugh that hard again. We're savoring every. Last. Golden moment. Because they're not to be taken for granted.

I've done a lot over the last year or so to build up my own support systems. I meditate daily, I have a pretty decent exercise routine, I fill my free time with inspiring podcasts and read books about topics that motivate me to do great things in the world. But not every day is a good day. I have an amazing boyfriend who reminds me of this with the calmness and sincerity and kindness that only comes from having lived through a lot of shitty days. And then experienced great ones right after. I am so grateful for his reminder that I don't have to be perfect. I shouldn't be. And neither should anyone around me. In fact, we are all perfect in our imperfections.

In a call I was on today the speaker shared a story about her experiences running a business and being the strong, successful leader she thought everyone expected her to be. In the process, she avoided facing the grief and loss of identity that came from relocating so often, losing family, and not having a real sense of place. She said something that made me break into tears, because I don't think I tell it to myself often enough - "It's okay to not be okay." I write this because I want you to know it, too. To feel it so deeply within yourself that you feel the same sense of relief that I did when I heard those words. The expectation of happiness and fulfillment 24/7 isn't realistic, and it isn't real. Be kind to yourself, in every way you can, no matter what forces may feel like they're tearing you apart. 

I promise you, there is something amazing on the other side. You just have to have faith that it's there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu