Skip to main content

What death teaches us about taking life by the balls



Endings for me are often painful. I suck at goodbyes. I think in part this comes from the realization that whatever the amazing thing that happened - that moment, the summer, the midnight adventure - will never happen again.

This is how I felt leaving Lida Farm this past weekend. While I know that my relationships will always stay intact, that chapter of my growth and evolution is over. A part of my heart now permanently resides at that farm, in the same way I left some of it with John and Karen at Pendleton's Country Market when I moved to Minnesota. It's inevitable when you become so intimately connected with the place - and the people. Farming grounds you in a way that can't be ignored. The plants, the weeds, the plant starts...they need tender love and care, and they'll tell you outright when it's overdue.

On the other hand, as much as endings are challenging for me, I find myself often seeking a change of scenery. There's something about being in a new place that allows you to redefine yourself. It's like hitting a reset button to release creative energy in pursuit of new adventures, and while it can create an emotional wound, it can also strengthen long-distance ties.

It's not a coincidence that I'm here at East Silent Lake this winter. I don't know what this place is meant to teach me yet, but I've decided to be very open to whatever it has in store. I'm starting to understand that there's something to be learned from whatever landscape we inhabit. Part of what I think I'm meant to learn by being here is about my relationship to the land, and my responsibility in acting as a caretaker for the earth.

I'm participating in the Regenerate conference this month as a HERD Fellow, a privilege I never could have imagined. It has allowed me to connect with leaders across the country in regenerative agriculture who are pushing the boundaries of what stewards of the land ought to do - and challenging me to rethink my own role as an assistant planner to advance food systems solutions through economic development strategies.

Watching Gather tonight as part of the conference's film screening allowed me to see myself for the kind of person I want to be some day. The kind of person who brings listeners to tears because their story is so powerful. The kind that celebrates the marriage of healing and humanity. The kind that has invested considerable time in understanding their own history in order to uplift the knowledge of their ancestors. The kind that is committed to sharing the story, sharing the power, and sharing the abundance that can be found in nature. 

The soil has been kind to me. 

In part I think it's because I came to the soil looking for answers, something to root my nomadic impulses, and to understand my role in accelerating a new era of ecological consciousness. The past several years I've done such a good job of filling my time that I never gave much time to listen to what my body was telling me - "Slow down, breathe, follow your intuition". The great pause that we are deep within is giving us a chance to do this, though, and for the silence I am grateful. It's giving me time to step back from the static of urban life and entertainment and dig deep into who I am as a woman, a sister, a daughter, and a leader.

Many people I know are quick to immerse themselves in the turmoil, tragedy, and trauma of this moment in history. Indeed, this is a key moment to mourn. The losses are incredible, but in many ways I feel as though I've been prepared - or preparing - for something like this to happen. There are many of us who have grown up experiencing pain, challenge, and struggles that make this moment seem like just another day. When you're used to shit going wrong all the time or have very close friends who are always in and out of jail, on drugs, or involved in unsavory addictions, it's easy to feel as though finally other people around you know what it feels like to suffer. 

In all honesty, though, I have seven years of working in a retirement home to thank for teaching me about death. Seven years of watching some of my favorite people come down to the dining room and suddenly have a bruise on their head that makes your blood stop quick every time you look at them. Seven years of watching their usual chair become empty, or their memory of who you are fail. Of picking up their cane, rolling their walker closer to them, putting them back into bed. Seven years of growing up faster than I ever expected.

Working with the elderly is about as close to understanding death as anything. It teaches you to live. It teaches you to take nothing for granted. To soak up all the beautiful moments that come your way as if it will never happen again. Because you never know if tomorrow is the day you won't wake up in the morning. Perhaps this is why endings are so hard for me. I've experienced so many of them with the loss of some of the most brilliant minds - my adopted grandpas and grandmas at Meadowlark Estates. People who I'll never be able to see again in the flesh, but whose laughter, corny jokes, outlandish gifts, and wise advice will always be with me. 

If nothing else, my experiences with loss have taught me to take life by the balls. 

I see so many people my age play things safe. They do what they're told and don't think about dreaming big. They don't push the boundaries, or upset those around them. My question is, what kind of incredible experiences, friendships, and stories are they missing out on as a result?

I believe that we are all capable of living a life that seems only imaginable in a movie. I dated someone once who told me that I needed to stop thinking about the movies and start thinking about real life. While there's some truth to what he said, it's my vision of my life being as spontaneous and stellar as a movie that pushes me to do bold things. I only want this for everyone around me.

All that is to say, just do you. Don't play small. Live as if you won't wake up tomorrow and I promise you won't be disappointed in the results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu