Skip to main content

Seeing, feeling, believing: Why you should care about the future of older adults


You may not be one now. But you probably know an older adult. What makes them 'older'? Is there a certain threshold? I wouldn't think there should be, but by most Federal standards 65 seems to be the number that sticks.

As we age our bodies change. The processes of renewal slow, our minds begin to wander, and sometimes the abilities of our neurons to connect fail to fire in the way they used to.

I've had the honor and privilege to spend countless hours with older adults, starting when I was 17 and picked up a gig serving at the retirement home near my high school. I was brave enough to stick it out, even after all the times I brought out the wrong order, or skipped a table on accident. The seven years I spent at Meadowlark Estates were some of the most fruitful years of my life because I never felt like I had a shortage of family support. Over servings of oatmeal, shepherd's pie, and sugar-free vanilla ice cream, I got to know those residents better than most of my classmates in school. And it wasn't because I didn't like people my age--I just enjoyed the stories and jokes of those old folks a lot more.

As I transitioned into living in Minneapolis last year, I was forced to leave that support network behind. My first year in Minnesota was rocky, to say the least, but I gradually worked up the confidence to say 'Yes. I am going to make volunteering a mainstay of my life again.' Little did I know that it would bring me to back to elders once again, through Cycling Without Age. CWA is an organization that is ahead of its time in reducing the effects of isolation in older adults by providing a way for residents of assisted living facilities to get out and about on a motorized trishaw. I have been lucky enough to serve as a Pilot over the past several months, and could not have foreseen the way it's improved my quality of life.

Every afternoon I spend with the residents is a gentle reminder that our mental and physical capabilities should never be taken for granted. That one day we too will need someone's help, even if it's just going to the restroom. I think it's painful for many of us to think about these days. We don't want to admit that some day the things that used to come to us so easily will suddenly feel like climbing a mountain.

Today I arrived at my shift so excited about the warm weather that I didn't remember the riding season had ended. Yet, instead of going home, I decided to stick around for a walk with the residents and a cup of hot coffee afterwards. It felt so natural to offer the others a drink, ask them for cream, sugar, and a stir stick. And I saw things in those moments of transition and stillness that I wouldn't have if I had left.

What is it that I felt when I was there today? What did I see?

I saw a man with a brilliant smile, legs turned at odd angles, walker in the corner.
I saw a man whose dementia requires a constant reminder of the direction and the place he's headed.
I saw a tiny pup whose turds were stuck to her bum and needed cut off.
I saw varying levels of speed. Speed that tells your age in the way our eyes dart from here to there, and bodies moving so fast they push the air around us and make the surroundings flutter.
I saw cribbage.
I saw a woman without a friend whose grew up on a farm in Wisconsin.
I saw my parents reflected in the eyes of those who stared back at me; someone who I would be caring for in the future.
I felt their isolation and wondered what it would be like if this energy--this sense of scatteredness weren’t so concentrated in these homes--what would our communities look like if this energy was diffuse?
What if, as an older adult, we were supported by a small network of people who shared the responsibility for different aspects of our lives? Guided to where they needed to go and right at home in any place in the community. Absent strange looks.

As our communities age, we can’t keep putting people away. We need a more dignified way of allowing our families, friends, and neighbors to age and be supported all along the way. We need a stronger fabric pulling threads from all over to make it not only safe for them, but everyone in the community.

These moments bring me a feeling of sadness because it reminds me of how often I take for granted my own capabilities. But they also bring me strength because I realize how much progress there is yet to make in this field of work and that we have so much opportunity to do better.



As much as we tend to focus on the younger generation, I urge you to consider the elders as well, and what contributions they can make to our quality of life. I bet there's at least one out there right now who would benefit from your companionship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu