Skip to main content

Why tariffs and farmer suicide may be what we need to get over our 'conventional' addiction

I ran into a very progressive farmer the other day. And when I say progressive, I mean he has his finger on the pulse of everything that's going on with issues in the food system in America, what the trade deals are doing to farmers, and more. All I wanted to know was where I could find the nearest ATM, and I ended up immersed in a thirty-minute conversation about what we should do with the $12 billion check that Trump is about to sign off on for American farmers as a result of this tariff mess. For those of you less familiar with what's going on, this article from Fortune does a good job of explaining some of the issues.

Visited a shrimp farm in NE this week as part of the NCK Farm Tour


What I found most staggering from our conversation (aside from his suggestion that we use the money to pay farmers to take their land out of production and encourage them to spend their free time learning about growing for organic markets) was his comment that, among all the professions with the highest suicide rates, farming is at the top, and by quite a large margin.

U-pick blackberry operation at the Market Depot (Republic County)


If that isn't a red flag that our agricultural system is f*cked up, then I don't know what is. I've been listening to the Plate of the Union podcasts over the past couple of weeks, and am excited to hear about chefs lobbying on capitol hill for better food policy. Maybe they should use this as a talking point. "You tell me that the stress of the profession is acceptable..." Food service workers also top the list of professions with high suicide rates. No surprise there, considering the crazy night life of drinking, drugs, and the high-stress environment of the kitchen. Think about being on the other side, though, as a lobbyist for commodity farmers. I can't imagine being in that position, knowing what it's doing to people--literally, killing them. If not the farmers themselves, then the carcinogenic chemicals are the culprit. How can that kind of job be justified anymore?

Anyone who goes to Salina has to stop at Cozy Inn for a burger

Here's the upside of it all. If Trump's tariffs come too late to appease conventional farmers, then traditional and alternative farmers will suddenly have a lot more in common then they realize. And maybe they'll start talking to each other, working together, figuring out ways that they can both come out on top and avoid selling to commodity markets. Because all anybody really wants is sufficient income to put food on the table and enjoy some recreational drinking from time to time. Investing in grains is not going to accomplish that, and we all know it.

Gotta love dem beautiful sunsets!

Hands down best burger in the area (even without a bun): Easy G's (Concordia, KS)

My first encounter with YouTube stars! Peterson Brothers (Lincoln, KS)

Just one more reason why rural living rocks. Signage on a mattress.

800 half chickens getting cooked for Courtland Fun Day's dinner
Three more days left. So much to do! So little time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu