Skip to main content

The beginning of my summer adventure

So...I wanted to see where I had left off the last time I posted, and didn't realize that it was all the way back in February!  That means that you missed out on my April visit day adventure, my whirlwind of graduation, saying goodbyes at the farm, my apartment search in Minneapolis, and my offer/acceptance of a summer internship in Beloit, KS.

I'll keep some of the back story abbreviated because I think that some of my best writing will focus on (strangely enough) the beauty of living in rural Kansas. I, of all people, having grown up in Lawrence and felt that it was way too small for my liking, am falling in love with the calm and relaxed nature of small-town living.

But first! For the catch up on other life happenings, and how I got to Beloit in the first place.

1. Summer internship applications
Applied for one with the Kauffman Foundation in Kansas City, one in Alaska related to conservation, another in Singapore, and of course one through K-State Research and Extension. I was not offered the first two, got into the third (but ended up being transferred to a set-up in Hong Kong because no urban planning options were available in Singapore) and drove out to Beloit in late March for an interview with the North Central Regional Planning Commission.

So what sealed the deal on choosing Beloit?

In short, the looming expense of graduate school. It made the most financial sense to make money (and save some for my upcoming living expenses) rather than spend it by interning abroad.

The interview (the interview portion of which lasted an hour, the 'touring of the town' extended another 2-3) was absolutely necessary and well worth my time. I'll admit I was a bit shocked at what I saw when I drove into town. Ramshackle houses, a three-block main street that was empty of people...I laughed when a lady crossing the street waved at me while I waited for the light to turn. She certainly didn't know me.

What started as an interview turned into 'selling me' to Beloit. "Check out our new wellness center!", "...and there's the park next to the public pool, which is really an active place during the summer months", "Waconda Lake is only about a twenty minute drive from here, the second largest in Kansas...".

I drove away feeling like if I had to, I could make it work. But I certainly wasn't jumping out of my seat to accept the position. With about two restaurants total and a population of less than 4,000, would I lose my mind in the smallness of it all? (More on this later)

2. April 9th, 2018: April Visit Day for prospective students admitted to the Masters in Urban and Regional Planning Program at the University of Minnesota.

The famous bridge on U of M campus

I convinced my parents to go with me so that they could see the city where I intended on living (and also save some money). We also used the opportunity to visit a couple of apartment complexes and came back a little shell-shocked by what you could get for your money. In my opinion, an absolutely necessary experience but a little disheartening. It was a reality check for all three of us, and put me into perspective when I thought about the kind of budget that I would need to have for an apartment.

3. May 13th, 2018: Graduation!

Geez. Graduation wasn't even the hardest part. All the final projects and speeches I think is what wore me down the most. I feel much more comfortable speaking in public, and have a better handle on putting together powerpoint presentations that are actually effective in conveying my message. I'm already using some of the skills I learned this past semester at work this summer which is cool.

Who is that dork?

Pretty kick-ass view of the line-up before walking
A highlight of that weekend was my graduation party, though. It was lovely to catch up with family and friends I hadn't seen in a while. Plus the food was incredible. I mean, who wouldn't love it when there's ginger dressing from Jade Garden to put on the salad? The greens of which I grew myself?!

4. The farming family...saying farewell (for now)
What a bittersweet way to end my time in Lawrence before I headed out to Beloit. I did not realize how much I missed helping people pick out plants to pick in their garden, weighing tomatoes, and hoeing...Alas, we never know how much we love and miss something until it's gone! Or it suddenly reappears again. My farm friends are the best and will always be the closest to my heart. There's something about picking flowers, planting peppers, and weeding that allows for a different kind of relationship to form than in other professions. I've always felt like my farm friends know me better than anyone else because I don't have to put on a 'face' when I'm around customers or my bosses. I can just. be. me.

Farming + Yoga = Bliss

Uschi!

Jo and I planting petunias
5. The apartment search: a miracle in the waiting

Yep, I used the m word. I'm not one to use it lightly, but the odds that I would find both the perfect roommate AND an awesome place to live in the few days that I was in town were so so slim. I cast my net out there, and kept an open mind about each place I visited, and low and behold, I found Estelle.  Words cannot describe how incredible it was to meet her and be her top choice, too. I'll be stretching myself just a bit financially, but it is definitely worth it to have peace of mind on the home front.

6. My summer internship! I'm actually going to put this in a separate post because a) it's getting late and I need to get some rest and b) I want to put some more thought into how I'm going to organize my thoughts on that front.

Question for my readers: Have you heard of the phrase 'rural by choice' before? And if so, what does it mean to you?

Comments

  1. I haven't heard of rural by choice, but I'm guessing the name is self explanatory. Living where I am, I totally understand a slower lifestyle. P.s. first time I read an entire post haha

    You sis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Made It!!

So getting around is actually not as hard as I thought it was!  At least in America.  International can get a bit tricky, but I can proudly say that I used the Metro Rail in Washington, D.C. without (too many) issues, and arrived at my homestay abode without a scratch! I arrived this evening around five and talked with everyone while they came and went...I met people from northern California, Seattle, West Virginia, and St. Louis.  It's soo cool to hear about everyone's struggles with their congressmen and what they're doing to communicate effectively.  I also wish that I had as much experience as them!  There have been some vocab words flying across the table, like externalities, yellow dog democrat, and others that make me feel very young and inexperienced; that being said, I love spending hours just listening to everyone talk!  It's so much better than at school or with my friends sometimes, when the conversation is limited to a certain array of topics, because I&

Day Four: Bigger Pots

Today was different than the rest of the conference in many regards.  First of all, about 50% of the scheduled sessions were cancelled because the presenters failed to actually show up to the conference in the first place!  This was especially unnerving, as I wanted to listen to quite a few about biofuel and constructed wetlands, but they were all cancelled.  So me, being my usual studious self, found a seat outside to study up for my entomology test.  I didn't feel like subjecting myself to more of the micro-discussions, because it is just too far out of my element.  I don't even feel like I can be a part of the conversation because doing so would require me actually understanding the basic concepts.  Graphs can get complicated, let me tell you.  I went to one session yesterday where the researcher spent five of his fifteen allotted minutes explaining the various features of his graph.  It made sense by the end, but geez. The field trip was also what made today special.  O

You have all the time in the world you need

Sometimes the most wonderful things can happen when your plans change. I've been writing about my travels in Costa Rica for the past several weeks as part of my 60-day financial fitness challenge through my business, Mezclada, and feel like the way that my mindset has shifted over the course of the past 50 days or so is quite remarkable. I was writing on the beach this morning, taking down all the notes of seeds that have been planted since I arrived in Santa Teresa at the beginning of January, and had one big takeaway that I felt was worth writing about here and publishing to share with others. It doesn't matter if you have $10,000 coming in every month if you can't take off at 4 p.m. to go use the sauna.  I say this because I've set a goal to earn 10K/mo. through Mezclada and my consulting work. But I realized that where I'm living, the people I'm surrounded by, and the activities I get to engage in on a daily basis are worth that much if not more. I'd mu